top of page
water tank.jpg

Frequently Asked Questions and Emergency Questions.

Emergencies call 505.930.7155. After hours call 505.395.9270.

Las Campanas Water Cooperative


In the event that there is a water service disruption, homeowners will be notified by our One Call Now System which alerts affected homes via; phone call, e-mail and text (if they have opted into that option). Homeowners are advised to phone the Co-op at 505.930.7155 or email

Please DO NOT reach out to the Owners Association or Security but only to the Co-op Staff.

How do I report a sewage backup, or overflow?
Contact the Co-op at (505) 930-7155. In the event of an after-hour emergency, call (505) 395-9270.
What should I do if I have a water leak?
If your home has a water shut-off valve, turn the water off. If you do not have a shut-off valve, contact the Las Campanas Water Cooperative at (505) 930-7155 to have one of our Water Operators turn the water off at the meter. If the leak is between the water meter and your house, contact your plumber. If the leak is from the water meter to the main line, call the Co-op at (505) 930-7155. In the event of an after-hour emergency, call (505) 395-9270.
Do I need water shut off valve(s) installed?
Customers are required to have a shut off valve outside the meter can for both domestic and irrigation to protect their water line. Some older homes may not have shut off valves, so contact your plumber to install shut off valves.
I need my water turned on/off (non-emergency).
Shut off your water using your water shut off valve located outside the meter can. Insure that you turn off the appropriate valve since many house have separate domestic and irrigation water lines. If your home does not have these valves, please provide 24 to 48 hours’ advance notice to set up the appointment with the date(s) it needs to be turned on/off to set up the appointment.
Can I or my plumber / irrigation company open the water meter can to turn off valves?
No, meters and meter cans are the property of Las Campanas Water Cooperative. Only Las Campanas Water Cooperative staff is allowed access to the meter can. Fines will be imposed for unauthorized access due to the potential for damage to the meter. If you need access, call the Co-op at (505) 930-7155.
How do I check for leaks?

If you have signed up for Eye on Water leak alerts, you will be notified if a leak exists for outside or inside your house. You will be able to see the volume of water loss per hour.


Locating leaks can be a challenge. If you have an irrigation service, they can come and check your lines for leaks. Note: After any repairs it is a good idea to check your irrigation usage for a day when your system is not watering. If the leak is repaired, you should show no usage.

Internal leaks can also be hard to locate. As a starting point, check all faucets and piping for leaks by monitoring for drips of water under sinks and from exposed pipes. Perform an inspection with the water on and off, as some leaks only occur when the water is on. Toilets – Add a few drops of food coloring in the toilet tank. If the food coloring appears in the toilet bowl, this means you have a leak. Some toilet leaks are intermittent, so you don’t always see or hear the water running.  
I know I have a leak and am unable to locate it.
What should I do? Contact your plumber or a leak detection company.
Can you recommend a plumber to fix my leak?
The Co-op does not make recommendations, however, you may want to talk to neighbors for recommendations.
I am moving. What should I do?
If you are moving, it is necessary to update the mailing address on your account by contacting the Coop at (505) 930-7155.
Why is my drinking water cloudy?
Cloudiness in water is caused by tiny air bubbles. After a short time, the bubbles rise to the top and the cloudiness disappears.
I need to have a meter installed.
Contact the Co-op at (505) 930-7155 during regular business hour. A work order will be created for the meter install. Please note, prior to scheduling the meter install, the plumber must install the shut off valve(s). A meter will not be placed until the shut off valves are installed.

I need to have my line located.
Call 811 (New Mexico One-Call). The Co-op will only locate the line from the water main to the meter in response to One Call notification. The service line between the meter and the house is owned by the customer, and the Co-op cannot locate that line.


Can I control my water pressure?
The water system is comprised of several pressure zones. The pressure in a zone will generally range from 50 psi to 125 psi. The water pressure to a house from the water system is dependent on its location within the zone. If a customer desires a lower or higher pressure then the customer can install either a pressure reducing valve or a booster.


In the event that there is a water service disruption, homeowners will be notified by our One Call Now System which alerts affected homes via; phone call, e-mail and text (if they have opted into that option). Homeowners are advised to phone the Co-op at 505.930.7155 or email

Please DO NOT reach out to the Owners Association or Security but only to the Co-op Staff.

Why do I have to boil my water?

A “Boil Water Advisory” is a notification issued by your public utility as a preventative measure.Boil water advisories are distributed if there is actual or the strong possibility of bacterial contamination in the drinking water system that could make you sick.


What infectious organisms might be present in contaminated water?

Illnesses from contaminated water occur principally by ingesting water. The major organisms that produce illnesses are protozoa such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium, and bacteria, such as Shigella, E. coli, and viruses.These organisms primarily affect the gastrointestinal system, causing diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea, and vomiting with our without fever. Most of the illnesses are not usually serious or life threatening except in the elderly, the very young or those with compromised immune systems.


Should I use bottled water?

Water from an alternative water source is the best option during a boil water advisory.When bottled water is available, it is a good alternative to boiling water.


I already drank the water; will I get sick?

Most people who happen to drink this water will not get sick. If you do get sick, the symptoms are similar to food poisoning: nausea, diarrhea, cramps, and possibly a mild fever. Symptoms can occur as early as a few hours to several days. However, these symptoms are not just associated with disease causing organisms in drinking water; they may also be cause by many other factors such as eating tainted food or improper hygiene. You should contact or visit your physician if you begin to experience these symptoms.


What should I do if I have symptoms?

The most important thing to do is avoid dehydration. Drink plenty of fluids and avoid drinks with caffeine, such as soda, coffee, and tea. If you are concerned about your health or the health of a family member, contact your health care provider.


Can I use tap water to brush my teeth?

No. Do not use tap water to brush your teeth. Use bottled water or water that has been boiled or disinfected as you would for drinking.


How should I wash my hands during a boil water advisory?

Vigorous handwashing with soap and your tap water is safe for basic personal hygiene. However, if you ware washing your hands to prepare food, you should use boiled (then cooled) water, disinfected or bottled water with handwashing soap.


Is potentially contaminated water safe for bathing and shaving?

The water may be used for showering, baths, shaving and washing, if absolutely necessary, but don’t swallow water or allow it to get in your eyes, nose or mouth. Children and disabled individuals should have their bath supervised to make sure water is not ingested. Minimize bathing time. Though the risk of illness is minimal, individuals who have recent surgical wounds, have compromised immune systems, or have a chronic illness may want to consider using bottled or boiled water for cleansing until the advisory is lifted.


How does a boil water advisory affect feeding my infant?

Mothers who are breastfeeding should continue to breastfeed their babies. Wash and sterilize all baby bottles and nipples before each use. If this is not possible, then single-serve, ready to feed bottles of formula must be used with a sterilized nipple. Always boil water before mixing concentrated liquid of powdered formula. If unable to boil water, water may be disinfected as described for drinking.


What is the proper way to disinfect my water, so it is safe to drink or prepare other drinks like baby bottles, iced tea, frozen juices, etc.?

The best method of treatment is boiling. Boiling water kills harmful bacteria and parasites (freezing will not disinfect water). Bring water to a full rolling boil for at least 1 minute to kill most infectious organisms (germs).


For areas without power, disinfect tap water by adding 8 drops, about 1/8 teaspoon, of plain unscented household bleach to a gallon of water. Thoroughly mix the solution and allow the water to stand for 30 minutes. If the water is cloudy, repeat the process. Use a container with a cap or cover for disinfecting and storing water to be used for drinking. This will prevent re-contamination.


Is potentially contaminated water safe for household pets?

No. The same precautions that are taken to protect humans should be applied to household pets. Fish and other animals living in water should not be exposed to potentially contaminated water. If the animal’s water needs to be changed, use boiled or bottled water.


What do I do with food and drink prepared during the advisory?

Throw away uncooked food, beverages, or ice cubes if made or prepared using tap water during the day of the advisory.


I am affected by a water main break; do I need to turn off my water heater?

Yes. Residents can go to the breaker box in the home and throw the breaker to the “off” position for the water heater. Once the pressure is restored to a home’s electric water heater, residents should turn on the hot water on any faucet and check that all the air is out of the lines. Once the air is gone and water is running smoothly, turn the breaker back on. This is a general guideline, and homeowner’s should always refer to the operator’s manual for the device.


Can I use my coffee maker, ice machine, water or soda dispenser?

Do not use if they are directly connected to your water supply.Use bottled water or water that has been boiled or disinfected for making coffee and ice. Also, filters don’t work for removing bacteria. Once you have been notified that the boil water advisory has been lifted, these devices should be cleaned, disinfected and flushed according to the operator’s manual for the device.


Can I use my dishwasher during the advisory?

Dishwashers are safe to use if the water reaches a temperature of at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit or if the dishwasher has a sanitizing cycle.


Is potentially contaminated water safe for washing dishes or clothes?

Yes, if you thoroughly rinse hand washed dishes for a minute in a bleach solution (1 tablespoon bleach per gallon of water). Allow dishes to completely air dry. Most household dishwashers don’t reach the proper temperature to sanitize dishes. It is safe to wash clothes in tap water.


After the boil water advisory is lifted, will my water heater be contaminated?

A slight possibility exists that a pathogen may contaminate a water heater and survive if the water temperature is maintained at 120°F or lower. However, since hot water directly from the water heater usually is not swallowed, this should not be a safety concern. A water temperature of 140°F for a half hour should kill virtually any pathogens in the water heater.


I have a water treatment unit for the house. Does it need special care?

Yes. Change the filter cartridges. Some units need disinfecting. Follow the directions in unit’s the owner’s manual.


Do I need to do something for the water softener?

Yes, you may need to run through a regeneration cycle. Follow the directions in the owner’s manual.


Do I still need to boil my water if I have a filter system on my faucet or refrigerator?

Yes. Most home filters are designed to improve the aesthetics of water (improve taste and odor), not remove bacteria.


Do I still need to boil my water if I have a water softener or sediment filter in my home?

Yes. Softeners and sediment filters are not designed to remove bacteria.


What should I do after a Boil Water Advisory is lifted?

After the advisory has been lifted, you should flush household pipes, ice makers, water fountains, etc. prior to using them for drinking or cooking. Flushing simply means letting the water run to ensure that no contaminated water remains in your pipes.Follow these guidelines for flushing:


  • Run all cold water faucets in your home for one (1) minute

  • Drain and refill your hot water heater if set at a low temperature (below 120 degrees F)

  • To flush automatic ice makers, make three (3) batches of ice and discard

  • Run water softeners through a regeneration cycle

  • Run drinking water fountains for one (1) minute

  • Run water coolers with direct water connections for five (5) minutes

bottom of page